Project Architect (San Francisco)
Huntsman Architectural Group is an award-winning architecture and interiors firm dedicated to elevating the human experience by designing places that connect, sustain, and inspire.
We create environments that authentically reflect the aspirations and values of our clients. Placing our clients’ business, brand, cultural, and environmental drivers ahead of a signature design style or formula results in inspiring spaces that create a sense of place, connect people, and have meaning.
Our services include strategic workplace consulting, interior design, and architecture across a wide array of project types with a focus on creativity, sustainability, and wellness. We maintain long-term collaborative partnerships with building tenants, owners, and operators in the commercial, institutional, educational, residential, and other sectors.
The firm was established in 1981 and is an ESOP employee-owned company. Our offices in San Francisco, New York, and Chicago are home to over 100 architects, interior designers, project managers, and support staff who are passionate about their work – explorers and innovators who never lose sight of our client’s vision. We maintain a fast-paced and fun work environment where team-based success is highly valued. We offer competitive salaries, benefits, and incentives and consider mentoring and continuous learning integral to the long-term professional development of our team members. Although the firm has been recognized with numerous design accolades and publications, maintaining meaningful connections with our clients and our local communities while contributing to the design profession is our priority.
About this Role
Even the most creative designs cannot be realized without the technical competence to deliver built solutions in a real world environment. Budgets, schedules, code compliance, and constructability all factor into turning a vision into a useful building or interior space. Understanding architecture from a detail level to the scale of entire spaces or buildings is where Huntsman’s Project Architects excel. We are as proud of our reputation for delivering high quality Construction Documents as we are of our inspiring designs - both are part of a singular product and process. Project Architects lead our technical teams through the complex process of developing documents, obtaining agency approvals, and coordinating with expanded project teams, often comprised of many diverse participants. We work truly as partners with a host of engineers, specialty consultants, product manufacturers, builders, and other experts to deliver technically complex, cutting edge solutions that are well designed, buildable, and have lasting value.
- Manage and lead documentation efforts for a variety of project types, primarily workplace, commercial interiors, and tenant improvement projects
- Participate during all phases of project delivery
- Oversee job captain(s) and other technical team members
- Direct 2-3 small project teams
- Collaborate with project designers to refine and develop buildable solutions
- Research and select appropriate materials, fixtures, equipment, hardware, and other components
- Incorporate technical requirements including ceiling and lighting solutions, audio/video, acoustics, power, and data systems into the documents
- Develop and coordinate technical documents, including Construction Documents
- Actively participate in document review and quality assurance / quality control process
- Interface with Contractor, agencies, as well as engineering and specialty consultants
- Lead and coordinate agency approvals
- Act as project representative during Construction Administration, including jobsite visits
- Assist project managers in various administrative and team management tasks
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ownership and accountability for project and firm-wide success
- Excels in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Knowledge and experience in all phases of architectural project delivery including detailing, specifications, and construction administration
- Knowledge and experience with a variety of construction assemblies and building types particularly related to interior tenant improvements
- Assure profitability through performance of team activities in accordance with project plan
- Desire and initiative to mentor junior staff within the office and at project site locations
- Working knowledge of state and local building and fire codes related to interior environments, including accessibility
- Sustainable design experience, with a preference for hands-on LEED and/or WELL project participation and accreditation
- Solid knowledge of building codes, feasibility studies, building infrastructure studies, and due diligence studies
- Computer savvy with strong skills in AutoCAD, Revit, MS-Office (including MS Project)
- Skills in Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- SketchUp and other 3D modeling skills a plus
Education / Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Architecture
- 8-12 years of architectural experience with at least 6+ years of experience as lead Project Architect on commercial projects
- Architectural licensure in California required and licensure in additional states strongly preferred
- LEED Accreditation preferred
If you meet the qualifications, experience, and requirements for this position, please e-mail your cover letter, resume, portfolio and/or a link to your work in a single PDF (maximum 10 MB) to: hr(at)huntsmanag(dot)com. In your e-mail subject line, please indicate Position - Office Location.
We will review your information and contact you should your qualifications align with our needs.
Candidates must have legal working status the the U.S. as Huntsman will not be sponsoring work visas at this time.
Return to Careers Page